30 May 2009

Creativity is piercing the mundane to find the marvelous.

// Before you read this, please know that I've avoided writing this post for several days, because it falls under the category of "admitting I'm wrong" in my mind. I certainly don't enjoy admitting I'm failing at something I was previously so excited about. With that said...

Well, in stark contrast to what I'd assumed I'd been doing with my first weeks of summer, I haven't written very much at all. I've been bored to crocodile tears, and finding a job to occupy my time (and give me an activity to, in comparison, make writing seem like an escape) has become impossible. No one wants to hire a college student for two months, when she's just going to leave the state in August. (Oh, I can't imagine why not...)

So, although I'm still constantly dreaming up little clips for my summer novel, and progress could be made by simply writing those down. So I may need to just begin there.

I think this is just a hurdle I'm going to have to get over with old-fashioned perseverance. I'm starting to think, also, that my on pause sort of relationship with the Lord isn't helping my waning interest in my stories.

2 comments:

The Crazy Authoress said...

Aww... you know, things very rarely turn out the way expect them to...

But you're dreaming, which is a good sign. Writing those down may help, yes xD But dreaming is integral to the writing process, so yay for that!

Nathan Gilmer said...

Maybe if you turned writing into a "Job" in your mind? You want to be a proffessional writer someday anyways right?
Maybe if you tell yourself that you have to be up and writing at certain time everyday. Also go somewhere like a coffee shop or something so that it doesn't feel usual. You might be able to trick yourself into being creative again.

I totally know the feeling and that's why I suggest those. Things like that have helped me a lot in the past.