31 January 2009

Books! And cleverness! There are more important things.

So just now I learned the difference between "each other" and "one another". I Googled "grammar each other" (I'm the master of Googling for obscure facts -- ask me about the time I Googled "guns heiress house" to great success) and found that website. Each other refers to two people, and one another refers to more than two. So, to say "Rose and I enjoy hanging out with each other when our roommates are gone for the weekend" is correct, but "Lauryn, Shalie, and Monica are all home for the weekend, but if they were here, we'd all be enjoying each other's company" is incorrect. So yeah.

I love learning the proper uses of grammar rules. It makes me feel like I'm one step closer to literary awesomeness.

On another note, this is the last day of January, so I guess it's as good a time as any to stop titling my posts with Harry Potter quotations. Problem is, I don't have a clue how to theme my February titles yet. Sigh.

5 comments:

Marit said...

I never knew that! :D

ashleyscript said...

You learn something new every day! :)

Marit said...

Very true! :D

Have you thought of a February theme yet?

Anonymous said...

Uh, NO. This difference was an artificial eighteenth-century invention and has no actual basis in linguistic history. Why not try reading some good grammar books, like Fowler's "Modern English Usage" (never mind that it ceased to be modern almost a century ago) instead of glimpsing an inaccurate page on the Internet -- full of mistakes and lies -- and assuming it to be true?

ashleyscript said...

Wow, harsh. Wanna take a deep breath there, pal?