14 March 2009

One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.

Here's a funny little story for you. I just got back from a two-night trip to New York City with four of my closest friends and roommates. Wednesday night, before we left, I logged on intending to blog before I went. I nice, short little update about what I was up to.

But my computer, and my school's network, had other plans. Long story short, I was promptly booted from the Internet, forced to run security updates on my machine, and reboot. But rebooting didn't work out so well, and I was forced to conclude that my poor, poor PC had died.

Luckily, it didn't. I was thoroughly convinced, however, that I'd lost everything -- including all the little writing projects I'd filed away over the past twenty months I've had this computer. I've accrued quite a lot of stories and scenarios and outlines, believe it or not, and I've now learned that I need to back those suckers up in case my hard drive decides a nice, sound crashing is in order.

Anyway. This is the blog post you should've gotten about seventy-two hours ago:
Tomorrow morning, promptly at 6 a.m., my roommates and I are packing into a two-door car and heading for New York, the city I called home all last summer. Seeing as how it's New York and it's my first roommate road trip, I'm sure I'm going to come back with plenty of writing material. I'm taking a Moleskine with me, and I won't let it out of my sight the whole time. Plus, I'll be Twittering and Posterous-(ing?) the entire experience. So I think I'll have a pretty good record when I get back. :D
So yeah. When I saw that my connection to the World Wide Web was being severed before I'd get the chance to update, I copy-and-pasted the post into a Notepad file on my desktop. I know, I'm a complete nerd. You knew that already, though, too.

And, if you're wondering, I ended up not taking my full-sized Moleskine with me. Nor did I Posterous a single moment, and my cell phone battery even decided to fail me at some points throughout the trip, preventing a thorough Tweeting of my experiences. But, I did buy a good old-fashioned photo album, and I plan to print good old-fashioned pictures off to tuck in its little slots. Yeah. If you were wondering.

1 comment:

The Crazy Authoress said...

I love this warning!! xD "If you're an idiot, you will be ignored or mocked mercilessly." Awesome.

And yes. Backing up is a good idea. That frozen feeling that appears after realizing that years of hard work has been wiped out is a feeling that no one wants to experience... Ever.